Tuesday, March 27, 2018

J is for Jewelry


Jewelry is small, fraught with memories and family connections, passed down through generations, and usually really,  really pretty.

It behooves every genealogist to have a sit-down with each of their relatives, especially the women, and take an annotated stroll through their baubles.

My jewelry box includes a wedding band engraved with my grandparent's names and wedding date, and a ring given to my mother on her 16th birthday (along with the story about how it was presented, in a set of 16 nested boxes, the smallest a ring box, and the largest the size of a toilet paper carton).  I also have my great grandmother's embroidery scissors, the only item remaining from her dresser set,  and the ID bracelet my father had engraved with his name and military serial number.  (Old school; now the military uses Social Security numbers as ID's.)  I wear the rings from time to time, and use the scissors when I sew. 

As part of your recording, be sure to include items that were added to the collection by the person doing the talking.  I often wear ring with overlapping leaves, chosen as a celebration of my work in genealogy.  It's not a particularly valuable piece of jewelry, but the story makes it valuable to my family's history.  Another favorite was bought on holiday with husband Bob.

And of course, you are going to take good clear pictures of the jewelry, and LOCKSS the resultant record -- :-)

Till next time,
Liz

(L is for LOCKSS... stay tuned)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
2018 begins with an "ABC-darium," a walk through the alphabet expanding into short comments on matters genealogical.  Published on Tuesday and some Fridays, a letter may be visited more than once before moving on.  
© 2018, SE Ross