Thursday, July 19, 2018

M is for Mitochondrial DNA


Could have tackled this topic right off the bat during "D" as in DNA, but didn't. 

DNA is the new kid on the block in genealogy.  It's even more exciting than the next census.  Ancestry.com started DNA in 1983, according to Google.

I say at the outset that while I understand how the three tests work - autosomal, mitochondrial and Y-chromosome - I have yet to get excited about DNA, though I know lots of people who are very excited, and spending lots of time learning how to construct the science, especially that of autosomal DNA comparisons.

I will say that in the last 2 months I have heard info that leads me to be a bit more interested in autosomal, and I join those who are glad there may be another avenue for cold cases, but so far, the DNA tests that truly intrigue me are mitochondrial and Y-chromosome.

Quick review:
Mitochondrial DNA, the 'x' chromosome,  is passed mother to daughter to daughter to daughter… etc., though the last generation can be either daughter or son.
The incredible thing about the 'x' chromosome is that unlike most of DNA, it does not combine and divide with each child and generation.  It remains, being passed from generation and eon to eon as it is.  Rarely, very very rarely, there is a mutation, and then that mutation stays for the next several eons.

The same is true for the Y-chromosome, the male chromosome, which is passed father to son to son…etc., and ONLY to sons, so even the last generation must be male. 
Repeat:  The incredible thing about the 'x' chromosome is that unlike most of DNA, it does not combine and divide with each child and generation.  It remains, being passed from generation and eon to eon as it is.  Rarely, very very rarely, there is a mutation, and then that mutation stays for the next several eons.

We talk about lines "daughtering out" with reference to the disappearance of the last name, but the Y-chromosome can just as easily daughter out.   Likewise, a family line of all sons ends that line for the X-chromosome.


Looking ahead:  What intrigues me is the vast reaches of time that these two DNA tests,  Mitochondrial and Y-chromosome, have the capability of bridging.  My "Ross" is presumed to come from Scotland, either directly, or by way of Ireland.  The earliest fixed date in the US is 1824/25 figured from the age Patrick Ross gave on his enlistment in 1861 for the Civil War.  Given that he was born in Knox, Tenn, I hold small hope of finding paper to carry him back.  I hold small hope that the Y-chromosome test taken by my brother will link with someone in UK, but after years of searching for paper and finding nothing, my small hope of a DNA link to UK is slightly bigger than my small hope of finding paper.

Three companies do autosomal tests; one does X & Y.  Have a look and save your pennies.

Till next time,
Liz

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
2018 begins with an "ABC-darium," a walk through the alphabet expanding into short comments on matters genealogical.  Published on most Tuesdays and some Fridays, a letter may be visited more than once before moving on.  
© 2018, SE Ross