Monday, November 14, 2022

in the end you become your own teacher -- musing

 My mother sewed for our household, doll clothes, household linens, and innumerable alterations from day one. and sewed or altered our clothes from day one.  I remember her making overalls for baby/toddlers with snaps all the way round on the inner seam, so no undressing was needed to change diapers. And I remember what a welcome gift they were. 

And I remember that she could rub a piece of fabric between her fingers and tell you what the fiber was. Her years of handling many gave her that skill. I can do similar with yarns. I have a friend who can taste a dish and know what spices were used. 

I remember reading more than one monograph about being you because only you can be you, and while you can be a successful you, you will be at best an adequate copy of someone else. 

And becoming your own teacher takes time. Copy work is easy by comparison, developing your own discernment is tough. 

A visual artist is not training their hands, they are training their eyes but even more their minds. A musician is training their brain and their ears. The instrument, or the plastic medium is the means by which the understanding of beauty and order is expressed. Starts to explain how painters successfully wander into furniture, fashion, jewelry or architecture...? cf. Frank Lloyd or daughter Picasso.

I was asked, during last summer, what courses I was taking this fall/winter. I am signed up for a few small things, but mostly, I am sitting in my own patch, and letting what I have heard, and read, and taken notes about, percolate and become habit. And thanks big time to the many who have provided fodder for this process ---- live, through books, and music, and visuals of all sorts. 

see you on the other side of thanksgiving - may your turkey or whatever graces your table be truly wonderful. 

best, Liz